Posted on: 11 November 2015
Glass shower doors have been around for awhile. If you've recently purchased an older home, you may have an older glass shower enclosure in your bathroom, and it's most likely outdated. If you like that outdated look, that's fine, but if you prefer to update the enclosure, you just need a few tools to update it. See below for instructions on how to update your old glass shower doors.
Here's What You'll Need:
- Cordless drill/screwdriver
- Razor blade
- Spray paint
- Sanding block
- Rubber gloves
- First, you'll need to remove your shower doors and track from your bathroom. Take the top of the shower door enclosure off by removing any screws holding it together, and set is aside.
- Next, take the glass doors out. You may need an extra hand with those, as they may be heavy. Set those aside as well. You can give them a good cleaning when finished.
- Take the track off by removing the three screws along the wall of your bathtub on both sides. Remove the bottom track by taking out those screws as well. This is where those rubber gloves will come in handy. The area below the tracks can get a little moldy - yuck.
- To get rid of the moldy caulk that was below the tracks, simply use the razor blade to remove the caulk. Have a trash can nearby to get rid of the mess.
- Once the moldy caulk is removed, you can clean the area with your favorite bathroom cleaner.
- To paint the old tracks, use the sanding block to rough them up a bit, and wipe them clean. Paint them with your spray paint of your color choice, such as a brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze color. Use spray paint that can withstand water such as an outdoor spray paint. Paint all sides of the metal tracks, including the metal around the doors, being careful not to get paint on the doors themselves.
- Once the paint is dry, you can begin reassembling the doors in your shower. Set the bottom track in place, then the sides next. Add the doors and then the top portion, being sure the screws are tightly in place. Add new caulk along the side and bottom tracks, smoothing it in place with your finger, and wipe off any excess.
- Finally, clean your shower doors with a combination of one cup of dish soap and one cup of white vinegar heated to boiling. Mix the two together in a spray bottle, and allow it to cool before using. Spray your shower doors with the mixture and scrub off the soap scum. Your shower doors will be sparkling clean.
Updating your old glass shower doors can be done fairly easily, it just takes a little bit of time. If your glass doors are damaged or cracked in any way, it may be time to invest in new glass shower doors.
For more information, contact Enterprise Glass Co Inc or a similar company.Share